apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: LP64/P64 model API issue #2
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 16:44:03 GMT
At 11:24 AM 5/18/2005, Andrew Binstock wrote:
>Quick note re:
>
>> It's embodied by the patch below - the delta of two pointer
>> offsets result in a size_t (by definition).  On LP64/P64, the
>> sizeof(int) < sizeof(size_t).
>
>That's not the definition of size_t. The delta of
>two pointers you're referring to is ptrdiff_t.

Ack.  sizeof(ptrdiff_t) == sizeof(size_t).  ptrdiff_t, of course,
is a signed quantity (al la ssize_t).

>size_t is an unsigned integral type that holds the value
>of a sizeof operation. The relationship you mention
>need not be true on a 64-bit platform.

There you are wrong - as I've been posting about LP64 or P64
architectures (such as Win64).  You were thinking of an ILP64
platform such as Linux, where we had mopped up most issues
in APR well over a year ago.

Bill