apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: advice on use of APR_STATUS_IS_*
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 02:51:26 GMT
At 09:20 PM 5/11/2005, Wesley W. Garland wrote:

>If I had my fantasy implementation, though, codes like EAGAIN and
>EWOULDBLOCK would be merged into one result... but that would
>require... well, all factors considered, a time travel machine and way
>to encourage cooperation between the USL and BSD guys prior to 4.3
>Reno or so.

Exactly.  Where some libraries have some normalize_err() function
which folds these together, the cost of executing *that* switch,
then to go through the users' expected cases, is much much to high
for performant apps.

The advantage of STATUS_IS macros is that only those flags your
app is prepared to handle are evaluated.

Bill