apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Modifying Win32 default optimizations?
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 21:45:09 GMT
At 04:35 PM 5/11/2005, Branko Čibej wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>If the open source community tends to push back on Microsoft's
>>newest compilers, it's simply because their forced treadmill is
>>the anathema of inclusiveness.
>>
>That's what's happening right now with Subversion. The Python 2.4 distro is built with
VS.NET (2003, I think). HTTPD is built with MSVC 6. Subversion tries to link with both. So
right now, we're stuck with either providing only Python 2.3 bindings, or not being able to
use an HTTPD from the apache.org installer...

Yes - I see Python 2.3 / Mod Perl 5.8 / Apache 2.0 / APR 0.9 / etc
all in the same 'generation' of code.

Do you want the ASF to be a leader of this 'breakage' as the Python
project was?  This is why the push back.

And I hope for Python 2.4 / Apache 2.2 / APR 2.0 / etc to all be of
the next 'generation', finally adopting msvcr70.  Seem rational?