apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Move apr_xlate from apr-util to apr-iconv?
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 18:10:09 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

>>>no; apr_xlate works just fine without apr-iconv (when system provides
>>>a suitable iconv)
>>>

>>It does not.
>

> you misread my statement, but that isn't really the point...  (I was
> trying to convince you that the current arrangement makes a lot of
> sense on some platforms...)

I just browse the source code for the httpd and in 99% there is a
single need for apr_xlate API, and that is to convert from
ISO-8859-1 to EBCDIC if someone is using IBM at the first place.

So IMHO we can write a simple converter for that, and get rid
entirely of iconv dependency from apr-util.
Someting like apr_ascii_to_ebcdic should do thought.

If someone wish to use the translation mechanism, well, the
there is apr-icov project that should in that case provide
the full apr_xlate api.
Only mod_charset_lite uses the full capability of iconv stuff,
so what's the point to link the apr-util with the
iconv/apr-iconv anyhow?

Regards,
Mladen.