apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Revert svn commit 64143 - HP/UX shl_load
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 15:30:29 GMT
On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 06:24:01PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> Modified Wed Dec 11 19:37:08 2002 UTC (2 years, 4 months ago) by jorton
> File length: 9449 byte(s)
>
> Don't pass BIND_VERBOSE to shl_load(), else it dumps errors to stderr
> by default.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/apr/apr/trunk/dso/unix/dso.c?rev=64143&r1=63863&r2=64143&diff_format=h
> I'd like to propose reverting this commit on all apr branches;
>
> The dlerror() function on HP/UX does -not- provide any details
> of WHAT symbol or dependent module failed to load, on shl_load().
> Although error details to stderr are certainly not elegant, I'm
> not seeing any alternative to reintroducing BIND_VERBOSE.
>
> Because most cases are fatal anyways, the extra stderr noise seems
> a minor penalty for useful diagnostics.

It's up to the caller whether it's fatal.  It's a perfectly valid use of
the interface to ignore apr_dso_open() errors; image an application
which optimistically opens a set of named extension modules, some of
which might not be present.  If a particular extension can't be loaded
the app could just ignore it and carry on.  It did *not* ask for stuff
to be printed to stderr, so APR should not do that either.

Regards,

joe