apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Thoughts on massive poll/select
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:01:42 GMT
IIUC - there are -very- few cases where you need a massive
array of poll/select objects, because in most cases it's not
practical with a threaded architecture.

Cases in point; the httpd listen pool, the jni listen pool.
Any other good examples?

I'm thinking we need to start from square one on an API that
can be optimally built for the various unix async models,
win32, and a classic poll or select platform.  In almost all
the cases a single object of work is returned, spun off to
a worker thread, and then returned to the pool.  Our current
API is certainly sub-optimal for this, across the board.

Bill