apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: Win32: Ruby & APR; build problems for Ruby Subversion SWIG bindings
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:47:40 GMT
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

>On 4/22/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>

>>At 05:23 PM 4/21/2005, Branko Cibej wrote:
>>

>>>This, I think, is a classic case of programmers' hubris. We should've defined
apr_pid_t &co. on all platforms, not polluted the namespace with names that APR doesn't
own (and that will clash with any Windows implementation of a POSIX-like API).

>>++1.
>>
>>My last point about the patch to apr.hw to define FD_SETSIZE
>>suffers this exact same hubris.
>>
>>The quicker we (open source projects, collectively) stop trying
>>to enforce the 'one right way' to use posix/win32 etc, the sooner
>>these projects will compile (collectively) with one another.
>>

>I take that as a signal to go implement apr_pid_t and friends for all
>platforms (a patch for thrunk).  Do you have anything you want to
>stress before I start the work?

Yes. Check if the APR code is actually using pid_t in public interfaces.
I suspect that if it is, then apr_os_pid_t would be a more appropriate name.

-- Brane