apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts on massive poll/select
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:21:07 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
 > IIUC - there are -very- few cases where you need a massive
 > array of poll/select objects, because in most cases it's not
 > practical with a threaded architecture.
 >
 > Cases in point; the httpd listen pool, the jni listen pool.
 > Any other good examples?

We are using it for polling keepalive requests, and huge
files (>128k) sendfile support.

 > I'm thinking we need to start from square one on an API that
 > can be optimally built for the various unix async models

One of the things that the current API is missing is object
timeout. If for example you put an socket to a poll it will
be never signaled for timeout, so you basically have no way to
manage the resources.

Regards,
Mladen.