apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Using OpenSSL's des_fcrypt for thread safe crypt()
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:16:36 GMT
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:06:59PM +1000, Brian Havard wrote:
> I'd like to add to apr-util the ability to use des_fcrypt from the OpenSSL
> library as a possible thread-safe implementation of crypt() for systems that
> have no crypt_r().
>
> Does anyone have a problem with either the concept or implementation of this?

With the implementation, at least, yes:
- only pick up the dependency on -lcrypto on platforms which need this
- keep the flag private to apr-util (i.e. use AC_CHECK_HEADERS and
AC_DEFINE), it doesn't need to be exported via apu.h

Is this function really thread-safe in OpenSSL even without the locking
callbacks registered?

Regards,

joe