apr-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: Hold horses, 1.1.1 solution
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:51:13 GMT

On Mar 16, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> If you are adding a symbol, yes, it'd be 1.1.0.  But, under our
> compatibility rules, it'd have to retain APR_ICONV_PATH as a define in
> addition to APR_ICONV1_PATH.  -- justin

Unfortunately the problem is that APR_ICONV_PATH may find you
incompatible (0.9.x) modules and if you attempt to use them, you die a
most horrible death.  Either the existing path needs to be ignored or
there needs to be a method of detecting 0.9.x encoding modules and
refusing to load them.

One possibility would be to add use difference values for ICMOD_UC_CCS
and ICMOD_UC_CES (currently 0x100 and 0x101) so that 0.9.x modules
would not be recognized as valid encoding modules for a 1.0.x
implementation.  That would also have the benefit of APR 1.x modules
not crashing a 0.9.x implementation.

As it stands it is a pretty horrible bug.  If you have an app that uses
apr-iconv-1.x, it will work fine until Subversion is installed and all
things start crashing.

View raw message