apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: do we still want sendfile enabled with our default conf files?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:07:01 GMT
--On Friday, March 18, 2005 5:59 AM -0500 Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com>
wrote:

> ...snip, snip...
> AIX:
>
> Doesn't really fail in the normal sense of not putting the right data
> on the wire, but can trigger a kernel memory issue if some kernel
> tuning is incorrect.  So always fail if the APR_SENDFILE_AUTODETECT is
> on.  (This kernel tuning is irrelevant unless sendfile or more obscure
> TCP usage is actually occuring, so the tuning issue has typically been
> there all along without hurting anything.)

Is the kernel turning incorrect on AIX by default?  Will this be fixed in some
future releases?  You could do lots of things to corrupt your kernel by tuning
in other ways - so unless this is by default, I can't see why we should block
this.

> ...snip, snip...

+1 to this list of exceptions and adding a new flag called APR_SENDFILE_CHECK
(or APR_SENDFILE_AUTODETECT) to apr_socket_sendfile.  -- justin