apr-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: apr-iconv 1.0
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:02:49 GMT

On Mar 30, 2005, at 12:41 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Should we deprecate our apr-iconv as of apr-util 2.0?
>
> +1: wrowe
> -1:
>
> The resulting issue, plug the hole before apr-util 2.0 is ready.
> Until that happens, if the vote is affirmative, I'll be happy
> to modify apr.hw to reflect that apr_xlate is not available on
> Win32.

If apr-iconv is an implementation detail of apr_xlate, then I don't see
the significance of deprecating it.  Either it (or a replacement) is
needed to support apr_xlate on platforms that don't provide an iconv or
apr_xlate needs to be deprecated or removed.

I assume that Subversion is actually using apr_xlate or they would not
have bothered with setting APR_ICONV_PATH.  Does httpd use apr_xlate?
If so, I don't see how you could deprecate apr_xlate or make it only
available on Unix platforms.