apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: do we still want sendfile enabled with our default conf files?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:00:59 GMT
--On Friday, March 18, 2005 4:34 PM +0000 Colm MacCarthaigh <colm@stdlib.net>
wrote:

> In my experience, more users are brain-dead than OS's ;) Surely it's the
> users who don't have a hope of diagnosing the kinds of intermittent problems
> that using sendfile can trigger who should be kept in mind?
>
> Users whose performance requirements are such that they will benefit
> from the use of Sendfile will find it, it's not like the option would
> dissapear. Even more so if it left on in the high performance config.

The issue is that the APR developers can assist in this by using our knowledge
of when it is safe to use sendfile() or not.  We should not be tasking
administrators with this responsibility.  I abhor knobs that have to be turned
on in order for the system to work to the best of its ability.  It's bad
behavior on our part: we shouldn't need a 'high performance config'.  If we
do, then it means that the portability layer failed.

Therefore, we can make it such that the httpd's default configuration does the
right thing a heck of a lot more often than it does now.  And, if that means
we disable sendfile() across the board on more platforms - so be it.  -- justin