apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr-iconv 1.0
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:12:53 GMT
At 03:50 PM 3/30/2005, Curt Arnold wrote:

>>Well, subversion does use apr_xlate.  But this was actually reported
>>by our log4cxx devs, who tripped over the subversion copy when they
>>thought they were using their own build.
>
>I made the initial report when attempting to use apr_xlate in log4cxx.

Yup

>What I saw trying to say was that Subversion would likely have not set APR_ICONV_PATH
in Windows unless they were using apr_xlate.

Which they do.

>2. Drop apr_iconv and support apr_xlate on platforms without a native iconv implementation
using something else.

Yes.  Pick up the FreeBSD iconv 2.x with some win32 or other
atypical unix deployment patches.

>I could support option 2, but would need to know the identity and licensing terms of the
"something else" first.

Again, FreeBSD iconv 2.x is maintained by Alexander, who hasn't
had the cycles himself to devote to it, or a community around it.
So, proposing a new community around it, either through the
incubator with the ASL license, or still under the BSD license
somewhere else (e.g. a sourceforge type location.)  There are
several communities who rely on the Kostantin implementation.
(FWIW - he's dropped his advertising clause in a note to Alexander,
but the incubator would probably wish to have something more
affirmative from him.)

I don't suggest we drop it from support in apr-util 1.0, but the
next major point bump of apr-util.  Provided it gels.

FWIW - who else in this community wants to participate if such
an ASL/BSD licensed iconv project grew up around the most current
code for iconv?

Bill