apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr-iconv 1.0
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:40:35 GMT
At 01:02 PM 3/30/2005, Curt Arnold wrote:

>If apr-iconv is an implementation detail of apr_xlate, then I don't see the significance
of deprecating it.  Either it (or a replacement) is needed to support apr_xlate on platforms
that don't provide an iconv or apr_xlate needs to be deprecated or removed.

We drop it.  Point users 'elsewhere'.  "Not Maintained Here"
sign on the door.  Tarball moves to archive.apache.org.  Perhaps
same for svn repository.

Obviously we want apr_xlate to point at -something- but the what
would no longer be apr_iconv.

>I assume that Subversion is actually using apr_xlate or they would not have bothered with
setting APR_ICONV_PATH.  Does httpd use apr_xlate?
>If so, I don't see how you could deprecate apr_xlate or make it only available on Unix
platforms.

Well, subversion does use apr_xlate.  But this was actually reported
by our log4cxx devs, who tripped over the subversion copy when they
thought they were using their own build.