apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: do we still want sendfile enabled with our default conf files?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:11:20 GMT
At 11:03 AM 3/18/2005, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>Seems to me, having apr_socket_sendfile universally available and
>having APR deal with whether sendfile exists or how to
>implement or emulate it makes the most sense...

The corollary is that if apr_socket_sendfile doesn't do what
the user expects, they may have a better approach than we do
in fake_sendfile.

The single biggest sendfile() problem is remotely mounted
filesystems, which (AFAIK) most platforms don't successfully
support.  Does apr know this, can we determine this (in a
relatively optimial manner) or is it easer for our user to
determine it at a specific time (such as when httpd is going
to do a stat() anyways?)

I'm a little worried that fake_sendfile is less optimal than
other games which can be played in multi-connection server
cores, possibly future mpm designs.

Bill