apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Striker <s.stri...@striker.nl>
Subject Re: apr-iconv 1.0
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:59:41 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 01:02 PM 3/30/2005, Curt Arnold wrote:
>
>> If apr-iconv is an implementation detail of apr_xlate, then I don't
>> see the significance of deprecating it.  Either it (or a replacement)
>> is needed to support apr_xlate on platforms that don't provide an
>> iconv or apr_xlate needs to be deprecated or removed.
>
> We drop it.  Point users 'elsewhere'.  "Not Maintained Here"
> sign on the door.  Tarball moves to archive.apache.org.  Perhaps
> same for svn repository.
>
> Obviously we want apr_xlate to point at -something- but the what
> would no longer be apr_iconv.

Well, do we have a replacement?  If not I don't see how we can seriously
consider dropping apr-iconv at this point.  apr-iconv is doing it's thing.
The first actual discussion in months, if not years, has been the APR_ICONV_PATH
thing, which is easily circumvented with the patch from Steve.  Let's
apply that patch and see from there.  My bet is that either the
discussion drops again and we can go for another year or two, or someone
goes to the trouble of doing the actual replacement implementation
(be that doing platform native calls or otherwise).

Sander