apr-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: do we still want sendfile enabled with our default conf files?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:34:08 GMT
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 08:23:18AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I absolutely refuse to punish users who are using good OSes because some
> OSes are brain-dead.

In my experience, more users are brain-dead than OS's ;) Surely it's the
users who don't have a hope of diagnosing the kinds of intermittent problems
that using sendfile can trigger who should be kept in mind?

Users whose performance requirements are such that they will benefit
from the use of Sendfile will find it, it's not like the option would
dissapear. Even more so if it left on in the high performance config.

> Feel free to advocate Linux always returning APR_ENOTIMPL for sendfile - I
> don't care.  However, blocking sendfile on non-buggy OSes is not a solution
> that I am willing to sign off on.

It's not like anyone is proposing that the option dissapear!