apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Max Bowsher" <m...@ukf.net>
Subject Re: Cannot link APR library with MinGW
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:09:44 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 02:31 AM 3/2/2005, Maxim wrote:
>> Has anyone use APR library (http://apr.apache.org) with your application
>> for
>> Win32 with MinGW?
>>
>> First, I tried compiling APR library with MinGW but got the same error
>> about
>> shared memory allocation support:
>>
>> ./configure:Error: decision on anonymous shared memory allocation method
>> failed
>
> This sort of check means that no decision can be made.
>
> The reason that it can't be made is that APR is only designed
> to be compiled native (the foo/win32/ source trees), and the
> foo/unix/ trees won't be ported to provide faux-unix support.
>
> APR is designed to take advantage of the environment, should
> we transpose apr concepts into unix concepts into win32 through
> two proxies (apr and unix compat layers such as mingw/cygwin)
> we will get this wrong and lose any potential benefit of a
> portability layer.
>
> Obviously, for this to work on mingw or cygwin, the appropriate
> autoconf and code elections must be programmed into configure.in
> and the included macros in build/.

*Big* difference between mingw and cygwin.

For mingw, yes, the win32 code needs to be selected in appropriately,
because mingw isn't really a compat layer - rather it's the GNU toolchain
running on undisguised Windows.

On Cygwin, however, apr works very nicely built in unix mode - both Apache 2
and Subversion both work on Cygwin with minimal tweaking - and indeed it
would be fatal to try and make apr use the win32 code on cygwin, since it
would break cygwin's unixy abstractions for apr's client programs.

Max.