apr-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Rudd <ed...@omegaware.com>
Subject Re: use apr for enterprise application?
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:08:31 GMT
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:22:05 -0500, Michael L Kornegay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been considering using apr for an enterprise
> application.
>
> I have looked at the list of known application uses
> of apr on the apr website.  The most notable seems to
> be Apache 2.x.

Subversion also uses APR (http://subversion.tigris.org) which is fast
becoming a very popular Revision control system.

Also not that APR started as a split of the pooling code that is in Apache
1.3.  just separated out as a library so more than just apache could
use it, and much more functionality added.

> Can any members of the list give me any comments and encouragement and
> cautions on the suitability and use of apr for a server-based enterprise
> application that supports a large number of dynamic threads and must run
> in both Win32 and unix-like operating systems?

The biggest reasons to use APR, is pool method of memory management,
the portability built into APR, supporting many unix-like environment
and win32, and the threading portability.