apr-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Rudd <ed...@omegaware.com>
Subject apr_dbd API ideas
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:13:37 GMT
I'm finally starting to hack away at Nick's new DBD API for APR, and have
noticed a few things about the API, which I have talked with Nick about on
IRC. And would like the thoughts of others.

One is a capabilities function in the driver API, to provide a way for the
application to figure out what features the driver does and does not
support. (ie. Transactions, Prepared Queries, etc..).

nick's quick prototype idea was
 apr_dbd_capabilities(driver, APR_DBD_HAS_TRANSACTION);

The other thing I noticed was the lack of standardized return codes from
the functions.  Most of the function return error codes from the DB layer.
It would be better to create a set of standard error return codes and map
them into the APR error space for DBD, so each driver will return a
standard set of errors to the application. This list of errors, however,
will have to be thought out well though.  As I know that the libdbi error
set is very limited to be useful.

Right now I am hacking with the autoconf to get the DBD drivers to link as
optional shared objects.

Regards,
Edward Rudd