apr-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Rudd <ed...@omegaware.com>
Subject Re: idea for and addition to the APR
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:52:56 GMT
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:27:05 +0100, Michal Mertl wrote:

> Hello

[snip]

> In FreeBSD I use __unused which is converted by /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h
> to __attribute__((__unused__)) for recent version of gcc.

I use __attribute__((unused)) for a function to be unused in GCC. As I
like to compile my code in -Werror (and make sure I remember to turn it
off when making distribution tarballs)

[snip]

> Did anyone thought about adding something like it to the APR? Or did I
> just overlook it? The name could be APR_MARK_UNUSED or some such.
> Implementation should be trivial - either we know how a platform does it
> or we would define it out.

I'm not really sure if it's needed, as I only run high compilation warning
(-Werror) when I develop the code, once I distribute I turn down the error
level (for autoconf not enabling --enable-maintainer-mode) so that these
issues don't crop up.. which so far I haven't seen them as I have the
__attribute__((__unused__)) set on a few of my modules and haven't had any
complaints thus far.

Edward Rudd
http://www.outoforder.cc/