apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Aker <br...@tangent.org>
Subject Re: Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:46:34 GMT
Hi!

On Feb 7, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> PHP has. APR itself is basically a library, used by HTTPD as well
> as others. apr-dbd is very useful, but the most popular usage of
> it would be within its MySQL support (think of it as an apr equiv

On a different note, who coded this? I can have one of our connector
writers go over it and see if we can do any improvement on the layer. I
would be happy to dedicate some engineering resources to improve on
this if need be.

Quite frankly I don't like ODBC, and from the stand point of a C/C++
developer I would like to see one common library interface to exist
that everyone could use. A universal C API to databases in the open
source world would be quite nice. I know that we would make use of it.

> its API. Another way of looking at it would be if we had an
> auth module that allowed auth info to be stored within a

Sounds like what the libdbi guys were doing.

> MySQL db; the module would make use of the API, but not
> ship or bundle with any MySQL libs. The module simply wants to
> use the public API.

Right, I don't believe you need a FLOSS exception. The ASF's license is
compatible with MySQL's thoughts on what the GPL is compatible with.
Namely the interface can exist and there are no issues with it being
made available.  Its the last mile that is at question. If someone
compiles the apr and links it against a closed source application then
they will need to compile the APR with all GPL code disabled, otherwise
if its in an open source environment (or in a web environment where no
code is being distributed) they are ok.

The act of distribution is the key here. As long as the closed source
(which in really isn't closed source, is just undistributed) isn't
distributed then everything is fine. If someone distributes closed
source, even with the FLOSS exception, then there is an issue.

Now adding the APR to the FLOSS list isn't an issue, that can be done
but takes a little while (I need to get our lawyer to sign off on it),
but I don't think you really need it. I can go on and get the ball
rolling on this though just to remove doubt from anyone's mind. I can
see where the question would keep coming up over time, so we might as
well resolve it.

	-Brian