apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r151766 - apr/apr/trunk/include/apr_general.h apr/apr/trunk/include/apr_release.h apr/apr/trunk/include/apr_version.h
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:54:36 GMT
--On Monday, February 7, 2005 10:44 PM +0000 wrowe@apache.org wrote:

> Author: wrowe
> Date: Mon Feb  7 14:44:09 2005
> New Revision: 151766

> Log:
>
>   In order to remove the win32ver.awk generation of .rc files for apr,
>   it's necessary to have a 'vanilla' c preprocessor file which doesn't
>   have all the extra apr.h or other function declaration cruft.
>
>   ap_release.h is the httpd project's convention, and it seems to fit
>   the bill.  Provide "big red warnings" (tm) to not use this new file
>   directly, if the user wants to retain compatibility with APR 0.x/1.x.

I don't get it.  What exactly are you trying to do?  Why must you add a
header file that is exactly the same as what was in apr_version.h?  You
also just broke the Unix build which expects the version to be in
apr_version.h.

I really dislike the ap_release.h strategy used by httpd.  I also don't
think it makes sense for APR in any form.  Please discuss this first on
dev@apr so we can minimize breakage.  -- justin