apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Aker <br...@tangent.org>
Subject Re: Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:46:32 GMT
Hi!

Ryan alerted me to this thread. I run engineering at MySQL and spend
some of my time working on community issues.

So I  have read the thread so far concerning MySQL and the apr and have
a few questions, so please bare with me while I try to understand the
problem.

So, you have a --with-mysql flag correct? Is  it enabled by default? Or
is it up to end user if they compile with MySQL support correct?

 From your download page everything is available via source, not
binaries correct? So the end user will have to decide if they want
MySQL and if they are comfortable with the GPL correct?

The GPL boils down for us to a simple "Quid Pro Quo". If you are open
source, we are open source. This means that if you write an open source
application then you should have zero to worry about, if you are
writing a closed source application and need to link to our client
libraries then you need to pay a license fee. I am aware that this is
not the ASF model of open source, but it is ours.

Keep in mind that I have released personally well over a dozen Apache
modules, and all of them use one version or the other of the ASF
license.  So I do understand the issues surrounding the ASF licenses.

Oh, and I am not a lawyer :)

	-Brian

Brian "Krow" Aker, brian@tangent.org
Seattle, Washington