apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:51:18 GMT
Brian Aker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Feb 7, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> PHP has. APR itself is basically a library, used by HTTPD as well
>> as others. apr-dbd is very useful, but the most popular usage of
>> it would be within its MySQL support (think of it as an apr equiv
>

> On a different note, who coded this? I can have one of our connector
> writers go over it and see if we can do any improvement on the layer. I
> would be happy to dedicate some engineering resources to improve on this
> if need be.

The original author of apr_dbd is Nick Kew, and the MySQL specific code
is still available from his website, as it hasn't yet been checked in to
the APR Subversion repository due to the license issue.  I made some
modifications to the apr_dbd API since Nick wrote the MySQL dbd
implementation, so the version on his site may not work with the current
version in Subversion, but it shouldn't be hard to update.

> Quite frankly I don't like ODBC, and from the stand point of a C/C++
> developer I would like to see one common library interface to exist that
> everyone could use. A universal C API to databases in the open source
> world would be quite nice. I know that we would make use of it.
>
>> its API. Another way of looking at it would be if we had an
>> auth module that allowed auth info to be stored within a
>

> Sounds like what the libdbi guys were doing.

Similar, but this interoperates with the rest of APR (i.e. memory pools
and so forth).

-garrett