apr-dev mailing list archives

From David Reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:15:21 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:07:20AM +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
>>I don't know if MySQL's exception for open source projects would cover us.
>>I'm not really happy with it: it looks to me like a potential torpedo under
>>the whole of MySQL's GPL licensing.  It also raises ugly questions over
>>whether it might impose unacceptable additional constraints on closed-source
>>users of the APR - i.e. does it give them an exception to the GPL too?
> Right: the problem isn't for us as we'd be covered by their open-source
> exception, but the problem would be for our downstream repackagers.  The ASF
> policy is not to include any licensing restrictions that prevent closed source
> applications on the code that we ship.
> MySQL has a special exception for PHP that allows derivative works to not fall
> under the GPL.  Such a clause might work, but in reading the text of that
> exception, I'm not so sure it holds up either.
> Also, their FLOSS License Exception doesn't seem to be quite what we want:

They do seem, as an organisation, to be quite well aware that
restricting their "reach" by licensing isn't helpful and therefore seem
qilling to talk about exceptions and different clauses, so maybe such a
clause can be crafted for APR. Without a dialogue we won't know.

Before we weigh in with legal people I'd suggest we try and find a low
key route to such a discussion and kick it off directly, maybe cc'ing legal.

This brings us back to the question, does anyone here know any of the
mysql development team who could help?

View raw message