apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:43:46 GMT
On Monday 07 February 2005 19:46, Brian Aker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Ryan alerted me to this thread. I run engineering at MySQL and spend
> some of my time working on community issues.
>
> So I  have read the thread so far concerning MySQL and the apr and have
> a few questions, so please bare with me while I try to understand the
> problem.
>
> So, you have a --with-mysql flag correct? Is  it enabled by default? Or
> is it up to end user if they compile with MySQL support correct?

That is TBD.  What your legal folks have to say may influence it.

My original post described a plan which I'm happy with, and which is certainly
compatible with both Apache and MySQL licensing.  But others seem to feel
that we should do better.

>  From your download page everything is available via source, not
> binaries correct? So the end user will have to decide if they want
> MySQL and if they are comfortable with the GPL correct?

The end-user, fine.  And the Linux/etc distro, fine.  The difficulty is the
closed-source redistributor.  Apache allows it; MySQL/GPL doesn't.
How to reconcile?

> The GPL boils down for us to a simple "Quid Pro Quo". If you are open
> source, we are open source. This means that if you write an open source
> application then you should have zero to worry about, if you are
> writing a closed source application and need to link to our client
> libraries then you need to pay a license fee. I am aware that this is
> not the ASF model of open source, but it is ours.

A closed-source application can use MySQL via APR with apr_dbd.
The question is over how the MySQL driver in apr_dbd is licensed
and distributed.  The options are to keep it separate and under the GPL,
or to bundle it with APR under the ASF license.  Speaking as the original
author, I had in mind the former, but am happy with the latter if a consensus
here clearly prefers it and MySQL AB clearly permits it.

> Keep in mind that I have released personally well over a dozen Apache
> modules, and all of them use one version or the other of the ASF
> license.  So I do understand the issues surrounding the ASF licenses.

Your personal opinion isn't the issue - any more than mine:-)  Your corporate
opinion is, however, of great interest.

--
Nick Kew