apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2005 01:31:03 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

> On Saturday 05 February 2005 21:15, David Reid wrote:
> >
> > They do seem, as an organisation, to be quite well aware that
> > restricting their "reach" by licensing isn't helpful and therefore seem
> > qilling to talk about exceptions and different clauses, so maybe such a
> > clause can be crafted for APR. Without a dialogue we won't know.
>
> I'm not convinced we need or want such a clause - unless you're
> definitely unhappy with keeping my proposed solution longer-term.
> Bear in mind that opensource distributors can and will have no trouble
> bundling the components and generating a combined platform - and that's
> what most non-techie end-users will see.

Personally I see the lack of MySQL "support" within APR as a
big minus. Let's be honest, MySQL is the most popular and
used OS DB out there. Having an incredibly useful APR capability
which cannot be fully utilized and still be within the spirit
of being commercial-friendly I think will limit the reach
and potential audience of dbd.

I think it's worth our effort and time to look into what can be
done/negotiated with MySQL.

    "There 10 types of people: those who read binary and everyone else."