apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 16:21:20 GMT
On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:07:20AM +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
> I don't know if MySQL's exception for open source projects would cover us.
> I'm not really happy with it: it looks to me like a potential torpedo under
> the whole of MySQL's GPL licensing.  It also raises ugly questions over
> whether it might impose unacceptable additional constraints on closed-source
> users of the APR - i.e. does it give them an exception to the GPL too?

Right: the problem isn't for us as we'd be covered by their open-source
exception, but the problem would be for our downstream repackagers.  The ASF
policy is not to include any licensing restrictions that prevent closed source
applications on the code that we ship.

MySQL has a special exception for PHP that allows derivative works to not fall
under the GPL.  Such a clause might work, but in reading the text of that
exception, I'm not so sure it holds up either.

Also, their FLOSS License Exception doesn't seem to be quite what we want:

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html

I'll also note that there is legal-discuss@apache.org which has a number of
lawyers and such - they may also be able to provide some (non-binding) advice.

HTH.  -- justin