apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:07:20 GMT

As noted in my previous message, the code committed to APR excludes the
MySQL driver.

To state the obvious, if I commit the MySQL driver to APR, we have to put it
under the ASF license.  That is not compatible with MySQL's GPL terms, so
it would be necessary to have alternative terms.

I don't know if MySQL's exception for open source projects would cover us.
I'm not really happy with it: it looks to me like a potential torpedo under
the whole of MySQL's GPL licensing.  It also raises ugly questions over
whether it might impose unacceptable additional constraints on closed-source
users of the APR - i.e. does it give them an exception to the GPL too?

My proposal is to retain and properly document what we have right now,
and provide facilities at the configure/build level to make it easy for users:

* The apr_dbd base, the existing pgsql driver, and other drivers as and when
   they are contributed, go in the apr-util dist.
* The MySQL driver remains at apache.webthing.com and is licensed as GPL.
* In the build, provide options both for bundled drivers
 (--with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql )
   and for external drivers
 (--with-mysql=....)
   but document the latter as requiring an external download.  Of course, the
   latter may in future apply to others, not just MySQL
* Eventually provide an additional build tool ("aprxs"?) to build modules to
   an existing APR at a later date.

This is also a wide "backdoor" for closed-source applications to use MySQL,
but that seems to me an inevitable consequence of apr_dbd existing at all.
But it also builds in limits to such use: applications using apr_dbd_native()
to get a MYSQL* object is likely to come within the scope of the GPL.

As I say, that's just my proposal: I'm open to other suggestions.

I was planning to copy this to someone@mysql, but their website just has a
contact form rather than any useful address, so I'm going to have to point
them to this post instead:-(

--
Nick Kew