apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <rbl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: use apr for enterprise application?
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:58:27 GMT
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:16:17 +0100, Branko ─îibej <brane@xbc.nu> wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
> > Branko ─îibej wrote:

> >> As a matter of fact, pools can be a huge PITA, as we've found to our
> >> detriment in Subversion.
> >

> > The problem isn't that "pools are good" or "pools are bad", it's that
> > they don't fit every problem.  In many cases pools simplify things a
> > great deal, in some they are a huge pain, it depends what you're
> > trying to do.  I still think that they're easier than standard
> > malloc/free C style coding.
>
> Oh, I never meant to imply that pools were bad in general. They're
> certainly well suited for server applications such as httpd.

Exactly.  Pools are designed for processes that do the same operation
over and over and over again.  And each iteration has to be completely
separate from every other iteration.  Every other application ends up
jumping through hoops to use pools.  Pools have their uses, but they
aren't meant to be used by every application, and I really wish I had
listened to the other developers who said I was making a mistake.  Oh
well, live and learn.

Ryan

--
Ryan Bloom