apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Licensing for apr_dbd and MySQL
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:07:41 GMT

On Feb 7, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Brian Aker wrote:

> The GPL boils down for us to a simple "Quid Pro Quo". If you are open
> source, we are open source. This means that if you write an open
> source application then you should have zero to worry about, if you
> are writing a closed source application and need to link to our client
> libraries then you need to pay a license fee. I am aware that this is
> not the ASF model of open source, but it is ours.
>
> Keep in mind that I have released personally well over a dozen Apache
> modules, and all of them use one version or the other of the ASF
> license.  So I do understand the issues surrounding the ASF licenses.

Thanks Brian. From what we can tell, it appears that APR would likely
require some sort of "exception/extension" similar to that which
PHP has. APR itself is basically a library, used by HTTPD as well
as others. apr-dbd is very useful, but the most popular usage of
it would be within its MySQL support (think of it as an apr equiv
of DBI or php's DB). We really wouldn't be bundling any MySQL itself,
but rather providing an interface to use the MySQL client libs and
its API. Another way of looking at it would be if we had an
auth module that allowed auth info to be stored within a
MySQL db; the module would make use of the API, but not
ship or bundle with any MySQL libs. The module simply wants to
use the public API.