apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r151766 - apr/apr/trunk/include/apr_general.h apr/apr/trunk/include/apr_release.h apr/apr/trunk/include/apr_version.h
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:20:57 GMT
--On Monday, February 7, 2005 5:06 PM -0600 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> As I indicated, we can either put a bunch of MSVC'isms within
># ifdef's to prevent apr.h and the function declarations from
> being triggered, when this file is included by the win32 RC
> (resource compiler), or ... use a simplified flavor with only
> c preprocessor constructs.

I think placing the MSVC-isms in apr_version.h would be far better than
creating a file that makes no sense and is unnecessary.

> Do tell :)  httpd is moving twords 2.2 - something to fix?

Absolutely.  ap_release.h is a bad name.  It should be httpd_version.h.  I
don't know the implications of renaming it though, so I haven't brought it
up yet.

But, *_release.h or *_revision.h are bad names.  *_version.h is Right(TM).

> The point you raise is valid, a user who expects to grep the
> file may get goofy results.  But they shouldn't be doing that
> in the first place, should they?  That's what apr-config was
> created for.

autoconf uses apr_version.h to determine what version of APR we are using
at build-time.

So, I'd recommend reverting and adding the required MSVC-ism.  -- justin