apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Looking for HOWTO: Linking to APR
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:18:23 GMT
--On Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:53 AM +0200 Graham Leggett
<minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Using 'apr --cc' and compiler specific flags implies that if the apr
> binary was built with the Sun Forte compiler, then my application must
> also be built with the Sun Forte compiler, but I may not be the proud
> owner of the Sun Forte compiler.

Then, you might consider distributing two versions of the package: one with
gcc and one with Forte (i.e. 'cc' or 'gcc').  I believe Solaris 10, by the
time it hits FCS, will have gcc bundled by default.  So, in some ways, this
problem will resolve itself for future releases.

I don't know what other maintainers (such as AIX or HP-UX) do with their
binary builds?

> What are the issues specifically with C++ libraries that causes a problem?

Namespace mangling has never really been standardized.  Although I believe
current releases of Forte can decode the g++ mangling, but I'm fairly sure
it doesn't work the opposite way.  -- justin