apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: apr_brigade_create's list arg?
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:44:32 GMT

On Jan 20, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Ben Hyde wrote:
>
>> Should not the second argument to apr_brigade_create be named
>> "bucket_alloc", rather than "list".
>
> It was supposed to mean "freelist".  It got its name before we came up
> with a name for the bucket allocator (cleverly named bucket_alloc).
>
> In other words, sure, go ahead, rename it.

The mnemonic b is widely used for both buckets and brigades.

Buckets and brigades both have a field named "list", but one is a
doubly linked list and the other is one of the many flavors of heap.

It's impossible to change the name of the field in buckets to something
else because that's a public interface.

Right?

Just maybe, it could it be argued that the list field in buckets is so
very unlikely to be toy'd with by anything upstream, it could change.

#define list bucket_alloc /* ;-) */