apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: LDAP changes in apr-util 1.0.x
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:17:33 GMT
Ewww... IIUC - apr_ldap_initialize("ldaps://foo/") was supposed to
handle the ssl 'crap' for us.  If we are just exposing OpenLDAP and
Novell LDAP, -1 for this change, and I'd like to propose we deprecate
the whole shooting match for ldap.

Consider apr_dbm.  We don't expect or require users to consider the
nuances of each dbm provider, we provide one constant macro.  What
apr-util should not become is some binding to require a ton of libs
that the module can do for themselves.

FWIW - I can see functions such as apr_ldap_ssl_key(char*cert, char*ca)
which would require the user to know that cert/ca are symbolic names
on Windows, Sun, etc, and actual file names for OpenLDAP.  Some APR_
macro would be required to point this out to the application.

Bill