apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Code Donations Was: Re: apr_dbd
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:12:53 GMT

On Jan 30, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> My website has said since mid-December that apr_dbd will be released
> under opensource license terms in January.
>
> It's now Jan.30th, and this is getting embarrassing.  I therefore
> intend to
> fix this tomorrow, regardless.  In the absence of APR karma, my
> proposal
> to contribute the code to ASF will have to lapse, and I will simply
> release
> it at under the GPL at apache.webthing.com.
>
> If anyone with APR karma would like to take responsibility for
> committing
> it, please contact me within 24 hours to discuss logistics.

The below isn't a comment on apr_dbd or Nick at all. Let's
get that 100% straight. Rather, the above was a good opportunity
to do a reminder of set policy. If anyone reads anything
more in the below, then they should not do that :). I
am looking forward to apr_dbd being folded in and Nick
not having APR commit privs is/was simply an oversight.

In general, code donations do not have "strings attached." Someone
cannot donate code with the expectation that it will result
in automatic commit privs. There have been previous code donations
which we have *not* accepted due to our "concerns" about the
main developer. Furthermore, implied or explicit "threats"
("give me commit or I'll take my code someplace else") don't
work either. It goes against the whole concept of
community > code.

Also, for code donations of any "more-than-reasonable" size,
they should really go into the incubator first, even if it's
just for the IP protection issues. That's one reason why it
exists.

For people out there looking to add code to APR, we welcome ALL
to our happy little group! I just wanted to make sure
that all potential contributors knew the policies in
place to avoid any embarrassing situations. ;)