apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Backport and release policy for APR and APR-UTIL...
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:15:05 GMT
>That's understandable.  But asking about backporting from 1.1.x
>to 1.0.x seems somewhat silly.

The reason why it's *not* silly is because of our release schedules.
Unless the APR project wants to do something completely different with
versioning, revision releases (1.0.1 to 1.0.2) are usually on the order
of a few months.  Point releases (1.0.x to 1.2.x assuming even numbered
releases) are usually on the order of years.  Major releases (1.x to
2.x) are on the order of "who knows when".  That has been the history of
HTTPD and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be the history for APR
as well.  Given that assumption, I don't want to wait a year for APR 1.2
to be released just to see a minor bug fixed.  I want it backported to
1.0.x so that it gets released next month (or sooner).  Also using HTTPD
as an example, HTTPD 2.2 will not be binary compatible with 2.0.  We
have already made sure of that with a magic number bump.  Therefore, I
don't see why APR 1.2.x must be binary compatible with 1.0.x.

Brad

>>> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> Wednesday, December
15, 2004 2:14 PM >>>
Ok, you have me confused :)  There can be no binary breakage
between 1.0.0 and 1.99.999.  Nothing (except for unreleased
changes in our svn repository) as we move forward.

Minor bumps introduce new features.  Subversion bumps fix bugs.
That's the short story.

I'm increasing concerned that folks believe that we won't go
to 1.1 or 2.0 until there is some magic 'httpd' project release.
Nothing is farther from the truth.

APR and APR-UTIL will be released as we have improvements that
are stable.  If the httpd, svn, foo, bash or bang projects want
to use a specific version that is fine.

Moving forward, httpd may decide to 'officially' move from
version 1.1 to 1.3, for example, between their 2.2.0 and 2.2.4
releases.  That's allowed by both project's compatibility rules.
Nothing is changing that breaks code compiled for apr 1.1 or
httpd 2.2.0 when a user moves up to 1.3 and 2.2.4.

Where projects with strong binary bindings get trapped, is when
they want to jump from APR 1.x to 2.x (or straight to 3.x skipping
our 2.x releases.)  We've assured our users that APR won't break
compatibility until they jump major version.

So the httpd project will prod us to continue to bug fix both
apr 0.x, and apr 1.x, once they have released some httpd that
is based on 1.x (if they do.)

That's understandable.  But asking about backporting from 1.1.x
to 1.0.x seems somewhat silly.

Bill