apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: apr_dbd: a generic SQL wrapper
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:10:22 GMT
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> A few more questions...
>
> MySQL's API requires you to call a function at startup in order to
> ensure thread safety.  Is there any provision for doing this in your design?

Nope, needs to be added.

> I wonder if it's possible to make pools and transactions work together.
>   Perhaps we could make it easy to set up a cleanup in a pool that would
> do the appropriate transaction handling.  Just a thought, I'm not sure
> how this would work exactly.

Indeed, it's a thought.  I'm not really sure whether transactions
(and indeed locks) belong in the API or should be down to apps:
the transaction API I've hacked up is much simplified, and is adequate
for my present needs but not for every app.

> Oh, and I forgot the most important question...  How do you find the API
> in practice?  Is it easier than using the native APIs directly?  Harder?
>   Worth the pain?  How does it compare with other db abstraction layers?

Well, this derives originally from a C++ API I use for Site Valet,
which serves its purpose well (OTOH I might never have written that
if I'd heard of libdbi at the time).  The motivation for adding it
in Apache is explained at http://www.apache.org/~niq/dbd.html .
>From there to APR is a small step several people, including IIRC
yourself on IRC, suggested.

--