apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject apr_dbd: a generic SQL wrapper
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:28:19 GMT

I've spent some time looking at a generic DBD architecture for Apache,
and got some feedback from dev@httpd and folks on IRC.  My thoughts as
they were a short time ago are at http://www.apache.org/~niq/dbd.html
Since writing that I've added builtin support for prepared statements
with varargs versions of the query and select functions, and transaction
support, to the API.

Several people suggested the project should live in APR.  At first I
dismissed that because it looked like more work than I intended to do.
Now I've reduced that task to one of reformulating how to send
backend-dependent stuff to connection functions (eg host, port, dbname),
which means it can work by just passing in such args as a single string
and implementing a simple parser in each driver.

Currently I have code for a proposed apr_dbd that compiles and loads
cleanly, comprising apr_dbd.[c|h], a MySQL driver apr_dbd_mysql,
and a generic module mod_dbd providing a thin httpd layer and dealing
with MPM differences.  This is a direct alternative to the architecture
proposed in my page referenced above.

Are folks interested in having this in APR?  If yes I'll hack it to
a point where it's fit to show and tidy it up.  If no I'll keep it
all at the module level as originally envisaged.

--
Nick Kew