apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Backport and release policy for APR and APR-UTIL...
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:53:55 GMT
At 04:31 PM 12/15/2004, Paul Querna wrote:
>Brad Nicholes wrote:
>>
>>The reason why it's *not* silly is because of our release schedules. Unless the APR
project wants to do something completely different with
>>versioning, revision releases (1.0.1 to 1.0.2) are usually on the order
>>of a few months.  Point releases (1.0.x to 1.2.x assuming even numbered
>>releases) are usually on the order of years.  Major releases (1.x to
>>2.x) are on the order of "who knows when".  That has been the history of
>>HTTPD and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be the history for APR
>>as well.

I hope we -don't- try to model httpd.  A library such as apr
is substantially different than httpd.

>>  Given that assumption, I don't want to wait a year for APR 1.2
>>to be released just to see a minor bug fixed.  I want it backported to
>>1.0.x so that it gets released next month (or sooner).  Also using HTTPD
>>as an example, HTTPD 2.2 will not be binary compatible with 2.0.  We
>>have already made sure of that with a magic number bump.  Therefore, I
>>don't see why APR 1.2.x must be binary compatible with 1.0.x.

Because those are our versioning rules... please review them.
Although httpd can change it's rules to suit the project, those
who adopt the apr library have based their decisions on the rules
we had laid down and already voted on.

We absolutely cannot break binary compatibility until the next
major rev.  If that means that apr is 10.1.0 in two years, so
be it.

>I am thinking it might be a good idea todo a 1.1.0 release before httpd-2.2.

Or 2.0 - if we actually fix the alignment issues.

>Lets just do it.  Whats stopping a 1.1.0 release today?  I don't see any big issues, so,
someone needs to take charge as a release manager and make it happen.

+1 if 1.1 includes new features, and STATUS showstoppers are closed.
<hint description="If you have a 1.1 issue, add it to STATUS" />

Bill