apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Backport and release policy for APR and APR-UTIL...
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:14:25 GMT
Ok, you have me confused :)  There can be no binary breakage
between 1.0.0 and 1.99.999.  Nothing (except for unreleased
changes in our svn repository) as we move forward.

Minor bumps introduce new features.  Subversion bumps fix bugs.
That's the short story.

I'm increasing concerned that folks believe that we won't go
to 1.1 or 2.0 until there is some magic 'httpd' project release.
Nothing is farther from the truth.

APR and APR-UTIL will be released as we have improvements that
are stable.  If the httpd, svn, foo, bash or bang projects want
to use a specific version that is fine.

Moving forward, httpd may decide to 'officially' move from
version 1.1 to 1.3, for example, between their 2.2.0 and 2.2.4
releases.  That's allowed by both project's compatibility rules.
Nothing is changing that breaks code compiled for apr 1.1 or
httpd 2.2.0 when a user moves up to 1.3 and 2.2.4.

Where projects with strong binary bindings get trapped, is when
they want to jump from APR 1.x to 2.x (or straight to 3.x skipping
our 2.x releases.)  We've assured our users that APR won't break
compatibility until they jump major version.

So the httpd project will prod us to continue to bug fix both
apr 0.x, and apr 1.x, once they have released some httpd that
is based on 1.x (if they do.)

That's understandable.  But asking about backporting from 1.1.x
to 1.0.x seems somewhat silly.

Bill