apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building APR using free Microsoft Tools HOWTO
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:57:27 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mladen, just an FYI... this would leave a couple key issues;
>
>  1. This is not an MSVCRT based build, there is a new set of
>     clib dll files corresponding to the new compilers, which
>     are not nearly as widely distributed as MSVCRT.dll

Yes, the same as you build with VStudio 2003.

>  2. Some C headers and libs are not in the free compiler nor
>     in the platform SDK.  For example, delayimp which allows
>     late binding (we used in for mod_aspdotnet) isn't present.

Didn't say it fits all :).

>  3. The free compiler does no optimization whatsoever.

The latest is hard to believe because the compiler is exactly
the same (even the CRC's are the same) as in VStudio 2003.

> IIRC bin/Win64 is only available in specific PSDK distributions.

Any from 2003 and up has that (IIRC February 2003 is the latest).

> So this isn't quite useful for ASF production builds.

Sure.

>  However
> it may prove incredibly useful for apxs builds.

Exactly. I was even capable to substitute the VC6 cl with
that one keeping msdev, so you have MSVCRT builds with cl 13.
You may try that by setting the VCtools\bin in front of
Common\MSDev98\bin for executables in Tools->Options:Directories.

The new compiler has some nice features
like __FUNCTION__ macro, etc... And you don't need to
buy an upgrade :).

Regards,
Mladen