apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Building APR using free Microsoft Tools HOWTO
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:47:45 GMT
Hi,
Perhaps someone will find that HOWTO useful :).

There has been some discussions regarding building
ASF software on WIN32 using free MS Tools.

Well, I must admit that I was skeptic about it,
but all in one they can be build quite easily.

Prerequisites:
Two things you will need:
Platform SDK downloadable from:
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/
and Microsoft C++ Toolkit 2003:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

I'll assume you installed those to:
C:\PlatformSDK
and
C:\VCToolkit2003

Since VCToolkit comes without the 'nmake' as well the
Platform SDK does you can use one from:
C:\PlatformSDK\bin\Win64
Just copy the nmake.exe from there to the:
C:\PlatformSDK\bin

Addition Prerequisites:
Since apr, apr-util and apr-iconv comes with .dsp
files usable only by GUI development environment, you
will need makefiles usable from nmake.exe.

You can generate those makefiles if you have Visual Studio 6.0.
Not sure about the licensing issues, but IMO they can eventually
be exported and uploaded to apr CVS.

Unpack all sources to:
C:\apache\apr
C:\apache\apr-iconv
c:\apache\apr-util

Now open the c:\apache\apr-util\aprutil.dsw with DevEnv and
then Cclick on 'Project->Export Makefile'.
On 'Export Makefile(s)' pop up select also the
checkbox 'Write dependencies when writing makefiles'.

Building:
C:> cd c:\apache\apr-util
C:\apache\apr-util>C:\VCTollkit2003\vcvars32
C:\apache\apr-util>C:\PlatformSDK\SetEnv
C:\apache\apr-util>nmake -f libaprutil.mak "cfg=libaprutil - Win32 Release"

That's it. You should  have libapr-1.dll, libapriconv-1.dll
and libaprutil-1.dll builded.

Regards,
Mladen.