apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Backport and release policy for APR and APR-UTIL...
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:31:43 GMT
Brad Nicholes wrote:
>>That's understandable.  But asking about backporting from 1.1.x
>>to 1.0.x seems somewhat silly.
>

> The reason why it's *not* silly is because of our release schedules.
> Unless the APR project wants to do something completely different with
> versioning, revision releases (1.0.1 to 1.0.2) are usually on the order
> of a few months.  Point releases (1.0.x to 1.2.x assuming even numbered
> releases) are usually on the order of years.  Major releases (1.x to
> 2.x) are on the order of "who knows when".  That has been the history of
> HTTPD and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be the history for APR
> as well.  Given that assumption, I don't want to wait a year for APR 1.2
> to be released just to see a minor bug fixed.  I want it backported to
> 1.0.x so that it gets released next month (or sooner).  Also using HTTPD
> as an example, HTTPD 2.2 will not be binary compatible with 2.0.  We
> have already made sure of that with a magic number bump.  Therefore, I
> don't see why APR 1.2.x must be binary compatible with 1.0.x.
>
> Brad

Eh? APR does not have the same versioning policy as HTTPD.

http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

I am thinking it might be a good idea todo a 1.1.0 release before httpd-2.2.

Lets just do it.  Whats stopping a 1.1.0 release today?  I don't see any
big issues, so, someone needs to take charge as a release manager and
make it happen.

-Paul Querna