apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Stas's proposed symbol renames
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:15:06 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 07:39:08PM -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>Joe Orton wrote:
>>>Well, since you really want feedback... ;) I often think this "naming
>>>correctness" stuff goes too far, it just makes the API too verbose and
>>>it can become unwieldy and ugly.  Do you genuinely get confused by the
>>>existing names?
>>I do. But not confused. I find it hard to figure out what's a constant
>>means when reading code. Adding a non-ambiguous prefix helps resolve that
>>Short constants work great when they are used in enum, which is used in
>>struct, so you always have a field name which is unambigous. When the
>>constant is hanging in the air alone, it's not easy to get what does it do.
> But that's rare, it's so much more likely that e.g. the APR_FOPEN_*
> constants sit inside or near an apr_file_open call, where they are
> pretty unambiguous.  The only bad one is APR_READ vs APR_UREAD.  I'm not
> trying to say it's black and white just that the trend worries me, if
> the consensus is that these are a good thing then go for it.

OK, I'll go with:

1) apr_file_permissions group:

rename, but leave out:

2) APR_FILEPATH_* => APR_FPATH_* to be consistent with FOPEN, FINFO,
FCNTL, etc.

since (2) doesn't help to disambiguate things. In fact it should be
preferrable on you, Joe, since it makes the constant shorter :) but

>>But that's not the point. I've posted the proposal back in May, it's been
>>dragging since then with 2 +1s and zero feedback in-between. Since there
>>is no general acceptance to this rename idea, I don't feel like it's the
>>right thing to do. But on the other hand none said no. So I'm lost. Now
>>I've committed one rename, and it's not clear if it's going to stay or
>>not. So if the majority says no, I just back it out and move on. If yes,
>>then I commit the other things and move on. But silence brings me nowhere.
> I don't know, what's the consensus, who else cares about the naming?  If
> I'm sat in my own little pedantic world on this then I don't want to get
> in your way :)

In any case thank you for the comments, Joe.