apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: Compilation on Windows
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:12:53 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>At 04:44 PM 12/9/2004, Branko ÄŒibej wrote:
>

>>>* because 'patch' should always 'just work'
>>>

>>It has for me. I've not yet seen a version of patch (on Unix) that would get confused
by the CRs.

>Apparently you don't do AIX 4.3, HP/UX and other twisted
>varients lol.

As a matter of fact, I do. Yet I have seen no such problems. But I admit
I use Emacs everywhere, and the rest of the world isn't so enlightened. :-)

>>>* because other platform maintainers may add/delete sources
>>>

>>So? They can use a non-broken editor, such as Emacs, vim, etc.
>>

>It's unix'es editors job to recognize silly MS conventions?

I consider any editor that doesn't maintain a file's end-of-line style
to be broken, whether on Unix or elsewhere.

>>>* because .dsp/.dsw are only the 'obvious' problem.  The less
>>>obvious issue is that the compiler gets entirely twisted about
>>>what 'line number' of the sources corresponds to a given
>>>symbol, and the debugging support becomes worthless with \n
>>>terminated sources.
>>>

>>Huh? Which compiler? And what does that have to do with the
>>format of .dsp files?
>>

>Has to do with the format of all text files built by MS cl.
>
>A broken build is a broken build, whether it just won't build
>at all, or when the build results are mildly bogus by being
>impossible to debug/trace etc.

I still don't understand what the problem is. I've built files with MS
cl that contain \n instead of \r\n, and I've never noticed anything
wrong with the debug info.

>I'm coming to learn that, though I'm still not reassured.
>
>Better point though; svn unix users (or the cygwin port users)
>can add a flag to their checkout to grab files as CRLF.  There's
>no need to even use the win32 svn port to accomplish this.

Yes but that will affect _all_ text files, which might not be what you want.

>>I'd like to see concrete examples of problems that can't be worked around. This hand-waving
and inventing problems bores me. I've been using Subversion with CRLF eol-style set on .dsp
files for years, from both Windows and Unix, and I've never had a single problem.

>I deal with about 6 different 'edgy' unicies, which aren't
>nearly as forgiving as Linux.
>
>There are alot of broken projects which focus only on the expected
>Linux/OSX/Win32/Solaris8+ and don't even know what an .sl file is,
>year old projects who can't grok .dylib files, etc... while our
>APR project attempts to be wildly more cross platform.

Well, we can hope. :-)

>Simple fact (again, cvs, and svn may prove better) - In order to
>patch mixed source and .dsp files as one update against, say,
>cvs-php4, it's impossible to apply the same patch, checked out
>on hpux, linux, solaris, and win32.  It works just dandy on win32,
>they all come out with cr/lf's, patches included.  Try that on
>hpux for example, and it chokes.

Such cross-platform patches will always be a problem, and they really
have nothing to do with Subversion or the eol-style settings. Possibly
an "svn patch" command could fix that, but we're quite a ways from that.

>But much worse, try a cvs diff on unix, and you end up with
>a mess of ^M's on the patch.  Now, commit that patch, check
>it out on win32, and you end up with the beautiful CR/CR/LF
>line endings.  This isn't getting any prettier.

Yes, this happens with CVS. Like I said, SVN is quite a bit smarter than
that. If you set the svn:eol-style property, it won't let you commit
unless the file's contents conform to what that prop says they should be.

>SVN has it's own issues.  Do an svn diff of a text file (native.)
>Guess what?  The resulting patch isn't even native!  On win32
>I'm left with LF delimited deltas.

Huh? Which version of SVN? I think we fixed that bug a while ago. If
not, tell us about it. Please. :-)

>  Obviously, I won't be ditching
>lineends.pl any time soon.
>
>The cli-dev@httpd project's httpd/mod_aspdotnet repository is
>actually a nice place to play with these issues; we only build
>that module on Win32, so almost every issue I mentioned is moot.
>I'm struggling to see how svn is helping us and what it can do
>to seriously help Win32 users.

-- Brane