apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: Compilation on Windows
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 22:44:52 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>At 03:42 PM 12/9/2004, Branko ÄŒibej wrote:
>

>>Tangui Morlier wrote:
>>
>>By the way, folks, why on earth do those files have svn:eol-style set to "native"
instead of "CRLF"?

>* because they contain text

What's that have to do with the end-of-line style?

>* because 'patch' should always 'just work'

It has for me. I've not yet seen a version of patch (on Unix) that would
get confused by the CRs.

>* because other platform maintainers may add/delete sources

So? They can use a non-broken editor, such as Emacs, vim, etc.

>* because .dsp/.dsw are only the 'obvious' problem.  The less
>  obvious issue is that the compiler gets entirely twisted about
>  what 'line number' of the sources corresponds to a given
>  symbol, and the debugging support becomes worthless with \n
>  terminated sources.

Huh? Which compiler? And what does that have to do with the format of
.dsp files?

>apr/lineends.pl exists for this purpose.

It existed for this purpose while we were using CVS. Many people argued
against putting the -kb flag on DSP files, and I sort of agree with
that. However, Subversion is quite a bit smarter than CVS.

I'd like to see concrete examples of problems that can't be worked
around. This hand-waving and inventing problems bores me. I've been
using Subversion with CRLF eol-style set on .dsp files for years, from
both Windows and Unix, and I've never had a single problem.

-- Brane