apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: apr_dbd: a generic SQL wrapper
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 20:21:19 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>

>>This really seems kind of odd, and I'm wondering if it's just because of
>>my Subversion background.  So the cleanup that closes the connection is
>>registered with the first pool, but the dbd is actually allocated out of
>>the second?
>

> No, the second is for temporary stuff.  The mysql driver uses it
> to parse the params string into strings that can be passed to
> mysql_real_connect.  There's an assumption in there that the
> driver itself won't be allocating anything long-lasting on a pool.

But it's temporary allocation.  You create a temp subpool at the
beginning of the function, use it for the parsing and whatnot, then kill
the pool at the end.  Yes, there is some temporary allocation from the
long lived pool, but the memory is available for other use as soon as
the function is over.  I don't see why a second pool is needed.

-garrett